I am on the offensive to deal with The Upside Down Show scripting. Thanks "FarmWife2" for reminding me about strategies that our in-home helpers have discussed with me previously. Like I said yesterday, sometimes its easy to slip into allowing things that might not be the best thing, just because they make Samuel happy.
I had a talk with Samuel's instructional aid this morning and she does let Samuel script during his sensory breaks. I was very pleased to hear that during recess, however, she discourages the scripting so that he can try to interact with his classmates. Now I'm just waiting to hear from the special education teacher to make sure they can verbally remind Samuel during the day that he will be allowed to script during sensory times (as opposed to just discouraging scripting). I think that if he is reminded that there IS an appropriate scripting time he will be more likely to NOT SCRIPT when that is being asked of him. I'm also waiting to hear what she thinks about doing a social story.
Last night at dinner I announced, "Tomorrow morning is the last day that you can play The Upside Down Show before we get in the car." Samuel fussed about that a bit, so I told him, "why don't you play hopscotch instead?" We'll see how that works. In the car this morning Samuel asked, "Can I still watch The Upside Down Show?" I told him, "Yes, you can watch it tomorrow (Friday) afternoon." For now I'll let him watch it and see if cutting out the morning play of it helps to reduce the incidence of scripting it at school.
This afternoon we are going to the park and then off to a "book fair" event at school in the evening. The boys always like going to the book fairs. They make wish lists and I usually let them get one or two books each. This is the first time I'll have an in-home helper with me and that will make it so much easier!
We went from 45 degrees (7 deg. C) yesterday to an anticipated 70 degrees (21 deg. C) today!
5 comments:
Ooops.. I read my name... :) :)
Actually most of this is from your prev post.
IBI/ABA Applied Behavioural Analysis/ (would you believe I just drew a full blank...) I'll remember later and come back. But it's ABA in the States.
I saw a presentation on video at one of the workshops the Therapists insisted I attend as part of the program, and the woman talked about "Waffles". Waffles were the only food one of her sons (3 boys, 5yrs apart, from severe to mild to Aspergers) would eat for breakfast.
Waffles are that "thing" that you live with to keep the peace. That "thing" you just can't be bothered to wage war over. We all have them.
My 7yr old is home from school... I'll blog later tonight.
Gotta go.
S.
Sorry, I did kind of repeat myself there a bit, didn't I?! The difference between the two days posts is that in one I was thinking/planning what I was going to do. Today's post I was relaying what I started acting on.
I like the concise term of "waffles," compared to saying "I have to choose my battles." I'm trying to figure out to what degree I should allow some of Samuel's autistic behaviors. The factors to consider are: is it beneficial or somehow comforting for Samuel to engage in these behaviors, do these behaviors keep him from doing other things that he should be doing? I am more comfortable with some of his behaviors than my husband is. The way I look at it, he has had to hold himself together all day at school and while he is at home I like to let him "be himself" during down time.
In any case, it's always a matter of monitoring and fine tuning things. Just like we do with our NT children, it's just much more labor intensive!
I always feel it's what you can live with.
Little one use to do a lot of body stimming (floor humping - my not so pc word for it) I was constantly putting him back on his bottom. Then when IBI (intensive behavioural intervention - see I told you I'd remember :) ) came that stopped but got replaced with hand wringing.
PO'd me b/c they allowed it - "If you ignore it the behaviour with go away" - not going there..... And they didn't break it. And now it's a HUGE problem. The Ped says his twisting fingers are hereditary.. I say he's stretched them. Last week over Mar Break it got worse again. But he'd been home 2 wks in Feb with the chicken pox/stomach bug and now another week off and our routine was out of whack... he had rubbed spots on his fingers. The school is constantly interrupting it, redirecting, the moment it starts and with that help it's slowing.
One of the numerous reason's the T's were asked to go last summer.
I use those movies that I know he really enjoys for those times I need to get something done. Like a shower :)
I don't think there's a right or wrong answer.
Thanks so much for your kind words and dropping by my blog. I look forward to catching up on your blog and following along in the future.
Our weather seems to have done the exact opposite, from nice and springlike back to winter.I even read an article about how they were putting jackets on lambs because the weather was so cold!
Post a Comment