- I'm able to get the baby to sleep for the night soon after dinner and then it's easier to focus on Samuel's homework. When baby is awake it's just a matter of getting either my husband or oldest son to watch her, but by that time of the evening she is usually fussy and she makes it her mission to find me, which means husband and big brother either have to chase her or confine her in the playpen!
- Samuel's internal clock just seems to run later into the evening than a neurotypical child, so a late bed-time isn't all bad for him.
Samuel has been getting quite cranky late in the afternoon. This has been happening both on days that our in-home person is here and days that she's not here. We're trying to teach Samuel to "take a break" when he has trouble controlling his temper. The challenge is that his break area is up a flight of stairs to his bedroom and he often fights getting up the stairs. We have to try to keep his pathway up there free of things that he can push down or throw and younger siblings have to steer clear as well! We have to prompt him to take the breaks right now. While he is working with the in-home services person he often asks to take a break but sometimes he has to be prompted then as well. Samuel is going to be big and tall someday so we want to teach him as many ways to regulate his temper while he is still a cute lil' youngun!
I only bothered with a 2-question worksheet about Abraham Lincoln for homework last night since it was so late and Samuel complied very quickly!
4 comments:
He sounds like he's doing great!
Our Sam is 10yo and we will have to now start working on his crying--he starts crying and screaming when he's upset.
*sigh* Two steps forward, one back
Hang in there!
I can relate! "sigh* Two steps forward, one back" I love how he's doing with his homework, but wonder why he's getting so agitated in the afternoon.
When our child-minder doesn't show I think that I am grumpier than Beauty, it usually means extra sleep time for me when she shows.
Beauty is also going to be big and tall and so getting Beauty to understand the need to co-operate is high on our agenda too.
At the moment she only really responds to me which means leaving her can be difficult.When I leave the house she wanders the house looking for me like a lost puppy.
Oh well.....perseverance!
We've had so many spells of helpers not showing up over the past 2 years that I've had to develop the ability to quickly adapt to the news that they won't show. It has been a while since we went through this however, the ladies working with us right now are pretty dependable.
That's such a pressure on you that Beauty only responds to you! I get a little frustrated with my husband because he doesn't tend to use the strategies and techniques that we're being taught by our helpers to deal with Samuel. Although I have lots of help from him and my oldest son, I am often coaching them from afar when they are dealing with him.
Great to hear from you!
Post a Comment