Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Snow Day!

Our area had somewhere between 2 and 4 inches of snow last night, so school is closed today! It was also closed yesterday because much of our town did not have power. Samuel is as happy as a clam when there is no school. I used to dread the days that he was home unexpectedly, but I rather like them now, more opportunities to work with him!

"Snow days" in our household don't necessarily mean that there is no schoolwork!

Once I realized school was closed yesterday I scrambled to type up some little lessons for him (I use "Writing with Symbols" software to type many of his lessons). I already had one ready for science. I then typed up one for social studies, math, and reading. At an opportune time later in the morning I seated the 3 boys in the family room and we had a "circle time." We looked at the calendar, talked about some upcoming events and the weather, and closed with a song of Samuel's choice (Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star). Then we did our social studies lessons (A short paragraph about George Washington, with two multiple choice questions) After the lesson Samuel was able to have his daily pop-tart (which he usually has in the car on the way to school). He initially wasn't too happy about all the activity he had to get through before the pop-tart, but I was able to help him along by using edible reinforcers. He usually goes through a token board of 4 tokens before the edible, but I just went with direct edibles yesterday morning because of his mood. He was allowed to play Playstation for a while after that.

Later in the afternoon our in-home services helper went over his spelling, reading, and math with him. I spent the rest of the day trying to get some of my 9 year old's schoolwork done, and trying to keep the baby from destroying my kitchen, she is into everything these days!

I better run and go get some new lessons typed up for today now! I'm so glad I have late sleeping children!

No comments: