I am a Mom who is raising four children and living with autism in Virginia's Northern Shenandoah Valley. I am a proponent of Autism Acceptance.
Saturday, September 20, 2008
"N is for ...." A Phonics Lesson with Samuel
We're chugging right along with Samuel's school work, which included the 2 day break we had this week because of his EEG. I often sneak in a bit of school work on Saturdays on weeks like this. This afternoon we did a lesson about the letter N and the sound it makes. My job was to ask Samuel to tell me a few words that begin with the "n" sound. Just in case he couldn't focus enough to answer my question I printed out some pictures from "Writing with Symbols," nice little concrete things like "nest", "nickel", "night." Well, we never had to refer to it because Samuel had no problem thinking of words! His answers? "Noggin!" " Nick Jr." "Nick" "Nextel!" Gosh, I wonder what was on his mind today?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
LOL! That was good of him! Tying the phonics to his life experiences...
I would call it a win! :-) N is still n, whether or not it stands for something nice and concrete or aNnoying like television! LOL!
Sounds like my youngest. He loves his tv shows. I read your previous post also. I am sorry to see you are having a tough time. I have no personal experience with an autistic child but I try to relate. I admire your strength. I hope things are going better.
too funny!
Post a Comment