Sunday, June 1, 2008

"End" of the School Year Approaches

Education in our household has become a year-round process. While a part of me wishes that we could take a particular day and call that "the end" and have a few months off, I enjoy the flexibility we have in working year-round. We take time off for vacations, and may have a lighter week here or there depending what is going on in our life.

One date I do have to keep in mind, working year round or not, is the August 1st date by which my state requires me to report educational progress. There are homeschooling options in Virginia which do not require reporting of educational progress, but I have selected the option under which I must report. This is going to be a very different process for Samuel than it has been thus far for my oldest son. All I have to do for him is administer a standardized test and report the results to our local school superintendent.

I will not be able to use the standardized test method for Samuel. The past week or so I have been gathering information about him and his work to send to a consultant. I plan to have her evaluate the work we have done so far, get advice on how to better teach him, and come up with an education plan for next year.

This is keeping me very busy and I haven't had much time to post or visit other blogs, but I'll try to get back and do updates of how this process is going.

5 comments:

Mama Skates said...

I didn't realize you were in VA - so am I!! :0)

LAA and Family said...

I noticed you were in VA when I checked out your blog after you introduced yourself. I lived down in the Tidewater area for 15 years and have been in this area now for almost 9 years. I guess I have to say Virginia is where I'm from now. When I turned 18 I had never lived anywhere more than 26 months, and had moved 15 times.

walking said...

We are like you . . . the fun never ends . . . LOL!

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog! I've added you, too. It was a real toss-up for me whether to classify you under "autism" or "education" blogs. I chose "autism" because I don't have as many of those now and it will make my columns prettier LOL!

Anyway, nice to meet ya!!

Here in Missouri, we just do 600 in core subjects, at least 1000 total. No reporting. It would drive me NUTS to have to account to someone else about MY kid. I'm getting mad just reading you have to do this.

LAA and Family said...

Thanks for visiting here Mrs. C! I agree with your decision to file me on your site under autism blogs. I mostly blog about autism right now, only because it consumes me so much and there is only so much time I'm willing to put into blogging right now. Some day I'll blog about all the other stuff I have to say!

I checked out Missouri's homeschool laws quickly on HSLDA's site. I love how easy they make it to look these things up and compare. I wish we were lucky enough to be a green state like you are, but we're orange!!! At least we're not red! (Sorry if I'm confusing anyone, look at the map they have on this site http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp and it might make more sense). There is an option in Virginia where you can get out of reporting, in which you claim you are keeping your child out of school for religious reasons. Here is the site where Virginia's laws are summarized: http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Virginia.pdf

That's cool how all you have to do in MO is keep a log book of subjects taught. In Virginia, they only want to know test scores for English and Math, I like that!