
The first photo is a recent example of addition problems that Samuel did. It turned out a little messy because I had to "fix" the fours. The touch points for four don't work on one with a closed top. Careless preparation on my part, oh well. Samuel can do these problems without the sentence at the top of the page "I see a plus sign....", I'm just putting it there for right now to make it consistent with getting him to think about the kind of problem he is looking at.
This photo shows how there are problems at the top of the page, which I had to prompt him to do at first. The page was folded in half and when he finished these problems I turned it to the bottom of the page and he did these with less prompting, eventually no prompting.
I have been trying to teach Samuel subtraction for several months now. The first attempts I made at teaching him were using word problems in which he crossed out the items being subtracted. This worked pretty good. He seemed to understand that the number he ended up
with was the answer to the problem and he knew where to write it. I only had to prompt him how to do this a few times. However, when I removed the sentence with the problem and just put images for him to cross off he couldn't seem to get it.
with was the answer to the problem and he knew where to write it. I only had to prompt him how to do this a few times. However, when I removed the sentence with the problem and just put images for him to cross off he couldn't seem to get it. The next step was top use touch points on the numbers. Samuel learned to add at school with touch points and he had this system down quite well. Using touch points for addition is simply adding the dots that are on the numerals and the total is the answer. For subtraction you teach by starting on the top number and then counting backwards on the touch points of the lower number that is being subtracted. It has taken Samuel a while to understand this but
we are starting to make some progress! I have been using more physical prompts (hand over hand placing his finger on the numbers or the touch points) and I try to minimize the verbal prompting. I started putting two problems at the top of the page and folding the paper in half. When Samuel did those problems I prompted him. Then, after he finished them I flipped the paper to the bottom half and told him, "Okay, this time you do them yourself." At first he couldn't and I had to prompt him again, though usually less. Eventually, he was able to do the problems on the bottom half of the page without prompting.
we are starting to make some progress! I have been using more physical prompts (hand over hand placing his finger on the numbers or the touch points) and I try to minimize the verbal prompting. I started putting two problems at the top of the page and folding the paper in half. When Samuel did those problems I prompted him. Then, after he finished them I flipped the paper to the bottom half and told him, "Okay, this time you do them yourself." At first he couldn't and I had to prompt him again, though usually less. Eventually, he was able to do the problems on the bottom half of the page without prompting. What was really exciting recently was when I put both addition and subtraction problems on the same page. The only "prompt" he had was the words saying that it was an addition problem or subtraction problem. I did not have to prompt him at all to do the problems after that! The next step will be to remove the w
ords from the page.
ords from the page.This photo shows how there are problems at the top of the page, which I had to prompt him to do at first. The page was folded in half and when he finished these problems I turned it to the bottom of the page and he did these with less prompting, eventually no prompting.

4 comments:
I love the touch math system. It's good to see your work with your son. Making subtraction personal with stories is the best way to make the connection to "take away".
My Noddy and Niles are 9 and your Samuel write as good as they do.
My Noddy loves the touch math system and relies on it heavely. He is real good at it.
I think subtraction and all the barrowing and carrying has been the tuffest. I do not like math one bit! My hubby teaches the Math lessons. He has got them completeing 6 pages a day now. It is a big improvement over the ZERO they would complete at school.
I think your son looks like he is working very hard and so are you!
My son learned using dots on top of his numbers. He no longer needs them but I think it helped visualize it for him. He's very good at math... just not the word problems. The little one is using actual counters with his numbers as he gets started.
Have a good Xmas.
S.
HURRAY!!!!!! Snoopy dancing for Samuel . . .
We did not do Touch Math, but math is something that does not come quickly to some kids in the autism spectrum. At 18yo, Pamela learning to add and subtract fractions with different denominators!
It takes time, but progress can happen!
Post a Comment