Thursday, September 13, 2007

Some Bumps in the Road and a Difficult Transition For Me

Since last Thursday, things have gotten a bit more difficult with teaching Samuel at home. Last Friday and Monday we did five different periods of working at the kitchen table (FIVE different periods EACH DAY, that is). I think it was Monday that he finally lost his patience. He was starting to complain each time he had to sit at the table. He would not comply, so I started "waiting him out" . When I do this, I stop prompting him to pay attention except to occasionally say "I am waiting, are you ready to work?" Or I might say "You let me know when you are ready to work." Other times I just ignore him and then he will eventually say "Okay, I'm ready." This can be hard to do if I have something else that needs to be done and I end up waiting for many minutes at a time. In this case, we had a few 30 minute sessions at the table and one that was 45 minutes (15 minutes is the target). One of our sessions got moved up to his bedroom when he started throwing things and clearing the table. He had been scripting heavily and would not focus on his work.

Yesterday I decided to reduce the amount of work and I gave him easier tasks. There were no meltdowns so I was happy about that. I suppose I should make changes to Samuel's schedule a little more gradually. Not only did I increase the volume of work significantly, but we have new material we are covering as well. We've went from working at the table one time per day to repeated times working at the table. Why should I be surprised that he's having a hard time with that?!

As far as the material we are covering, I am finding that I still need to alter the way I present material to him. I had thought the first grade level workbooks I bought him were formatted in such a way (larger type, nice pictures, etc) that I wouldn't need to alter them. However, he still seems to be distracted by (or somehow unable to process) what he sees in the textbook. All part of the trial and error process I'm going through to come up with what is best for him!

Samuel has been very moody this past week. He has burst into tears a few times. One time was while he was watching "The Backyardigans". My other two sons were watching it as well. We tried asking Samuel why he was upset but his answers didn't make any sense. All we could figure was that it was a new episode of the show that he had not seen yet, or perhaps the music in the show contributed. He did not leave the room, which is what he usually does when he doesn't like what is on television.

It's not easy keeping up with all three boys and their schoolwork! I'm trying to grade and file away their work each day. I also write out a list of the next day's work. At the end of the day I review it, write in a score for their work, if appropriate. I have been teaching one child at home for the past 6 six years; now I have three children to teach! My little girl wants to be in on the action at the table too, so there has to be activity ready for her as well.

Our in-home helpers have been helpful by keeping Samuel occupied while he is not at the table doing his schoolwork. They help during his work time by being seated strategically at the table so he cannot run away!

I'm attempting to meet with the in-home service providers we used to have to arrange for some private consultation regarding Samuel's behavior. This isn't an easy time of year to meet with them, with school just beginning. They are very busy.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know how you do it.

Wait, I do!

God is with you, is He not?

kristi said...

Bless your heart. I agree with Aspie Mom. I can't get TC to cooperate with me on reading, etc...for more than a few minutes.

LAA and Family said...

You're right, D..it helps to know God is with me.

Things are crazy right now and I know I can't live like this forever.., but believe it or not I'm actually enjoying going through all of this. I really want to find a way to make it all work! This is all a process of discovering the best ways to teach my children and set up our life together as a family. I really like being at home all day with ALL the kids. I'm very fortunate to have the various forms of help that I have, this all wouldn't work without that!

walking said...

LAA,

I just want you to know you are doing a great job! I only have two children (although when it came to doing tablework my NT ornery child loved it as much as Samuel), and that was hard enough! I can tell you that it is quite common to have to build up slowly to the level where you would like them to be. I used to imagine I was building a bridge to help them cross over to the level I hoped they would be. Nine times out of ten we reached that destination before the year was out!!!

A Bishops Wife said...

Aspie Mom is right! God is with you. Things get hard sometimes, I know This is more than likely an adjustment for all of you.

My little junior cries like that for some reason. He was looking at a viseo on youtube of "sleeping kittens" and it had music in the back round--rock-a-by-baby--I think, and he got allteared up and went to the couch and cried and said "Sad...I sad" he could not watch it again and I do not know why it bothered him.

Bonnie said...

It is hard trying to juggle kids and homeschool. We hit some bumps this week too. I've been doing a lot of trampoline breaks, but in the back of my mind I'm worried we will fall behind in our school work.