

Samuel has had in-home help for three hours per morning five days per week this summer. These sessions are a weaving together of preferred activities and non-preferred activities. Some academic work done has been telling time worksheets, counting money (real coins and worksheets), phonics worksheets, addition worksheets, looking at the calendar. Samuel gets a break after his helper leaves, but then mid-afternoon I have h
im do some "worktime" for me. We finished reading "Whales." Now we are reading "What Makes Day and Night," which goes nicely with his interest this summer in sunsets. At bedtime I have read biographies about George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, and Thomas Jefferson. The boys have enjoyed hearing Virginia mentioned so frequently as I have read the Washington and Jefferson books.
im do some "worktime" for me. We finished reading "Whales." Now we are reading "What Makes Day and Night," which goes nicely with his interest this summer in sunsets. At bedtime I have read biographies about George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, and Thomas Jefferson. The boys have enjoyed hearing Virginia mentioned so frequently as I have read the Washington and Jefferson books.These pictures show the basic facts that I pulled out of the Benjamin Franklin biography for Samuel to review. I read the biography out loud to all the boys at bedtime over several weeks. Each day I would type up a short sentence or two on our "Writing With Symbols" software about the previous night's reading. These five pages were what I kept as the five things to remember once we finished the book. We have a video from the Nest company about Benjamin Franklin's experiments with electricity. Samuel really likes this video so I kept the "facts to remember" from the biography related to that and how he came to live in Philadelphia after being born in Boston. Some other time I'll have to focus on his role in the American Revolution.


8 comments:
The daily help that you get sounds brilliant for Samuel, you must be pleased with his progress.He sounds like he is doing really well.
I am very grateful for the help I have had with Samuel the past few years. There are always challenges to deal with, but our efforts have been rewarded several times this summer with him controlling his behavior in the appropriate ways that we've been trying to steer him towards. Now if we could figure out how to get him out of his world of TV shows from Noggin, and Star Wars!
I admit I allowed the echoing this summer. And the little one has changed his habits independantly. No idea why or what set it off. Like his leappad. Played it steady.. now he won't touch it.
I see you played with your template again.
Are you sending Samuel to school this year?? When does school start where you are??
S
I am glad you visited my blog so I could come "meet" you! I really love the title of your web log. I am fascinated by the way you and your son's school accomodate his learning needs.
I look forward to reading more!
HI!!
I love what you did with the place!
Yellow is my favorite color.
It looks like you and Samuel have worked very hard this summer.The lessons look wonderful. So happy to see you back.
School in our county starts the beginning of September this year (it's usually the last week of August, but a new school has been built and several schools moved this summer, hence the extra time needed to keep them closed). We will most likely be withdrawing Samuel from school so we can teach him at home. I'm waiting to hear from his teacher to set up a meeting.
I like changing the look of my blog as the seasons change.. these new colors make me think of late summer.
I love seeing those nature photo's.I grew up in that area and its one of my favorite places.
Glad to see that the kids are contiuing to learn throughout the summer.
I love the 'writing with symbols' system. It's really great for one of mine.
Best wishes
Post a Comment