Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Samuel Drew a Picture and Wrote a Story!


As I was talking on the phone with my parents on Sunday. Samuel came up to me and said "I want to draw a picture." I nodded an "okay," thinking that I would have to help him find the things necessary to do this once I was off the phone.

However, he surprised me by going and finding paper and a marker all on his own. He drew in the hallway outside of the room where I was talking and I could tell he was very excited about his endeavor. When I got off the phone he proudly told me that he had drawn a picture and had written a story! Here are pictures of his work. The first page is a picture of Wow! Wow! Wubbsy! (his current TV favorite.. it has replaced The Upside Down Show). The next two pages are a story about him. The first page says "Nick Jr. Wow Wow Wubbsy, a cat." Samuel read the second page to me but I could not understand what he said and I cannot make out any other words except "The End."


Samuel has been encouraged to draw and of course has been learning how to write in school for years, but this is the first time that he has come up with the idea of drawing a picture on his own, and I'm pretty sure it is the first time he has written any more than one or two sentences from his own idea. I have reorganized some shelving in the kitchen so he can more easily access paper in the future!

He undertook this activity after I made him stop playing on the computer after about a half hour session. I'm sure he was playing on the Nick Jr. website. I like that instead of sitting and scripting he took his thoughts and did something as creative as this. Samuel's big brother has been doing things like this since he was four years old so we're used to seeing all kinds of drawings and stories and games that he creates. Seeing it from Samuel is brand new and it's awesome! I'm left wondering if we really need to worry about the scripting as much as I might have thought. I'll continue to place limitations on how much time he is on the computer, but perhaps I should follow his computer time with encouragement to draw, write, or talk about what he has just done.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome. My eldest is not an artist... so anytime he decides to draw he's encouraged. He prefers to make signs using words... which IMO... is still independant.. no nagging from Mom... thoughts... works for me.

S.

A Bishops Wife said...

This is very good.
Very creative and I bet he is proud of it. Very good!
My kids like "Wubbsy" too.

Junior can draw a simple face and write his name. He mostly makes circles, squares and crosses.

LAA and Family said...

The latest twist on this is that Samuel has gotten back into printing things. He printed about 7 or 8 coloring pages and an activity page. One of us, either me or our in-home helper, is going to make Samuel color or do the activity page some time this week. Now I have to remember to unplug the printer. We go through this every now and then..

Bishop's Wife - does Junior draw independently or do you have to encourage him to do so?

Unknown said...

that is so woonderful of hm to do ownhis own!

Unknown said...

That's so great!

((((((((((Sam))))))))))))

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking the time to read some backposts! I haven't had a lot of new fresh either lately...

I decided to submit the Manuel pst to the homeschool carnival...... I figured my other readers maynot have read about him yet and might like to know how he came to be with us. I also edited the post with some more info and links.