I have found out that there is a possibility that Samuel's special education class will meet in a portable classroom next year. My gut reaction is to think that this doesn't sound like a very good idea, but I'm trying to approach this objectively. The room they are in right now is very small, so an advantage of a portable room would be more space. However, I don't like the idea of the class being removed from the rest of the building, both because of the proximity issues and because it seems to imply that they are "separate" from the rest of the school.
I'd like to know what others think of this.. I know portables classrooms are used in many places. My sister teaches in one at her school.
I'm going to call the principal of the school to further inquire..
8 comments:
I would be asking more questions too! You have valid concerns.
One thought...how are the new portables as far as Auditory? I remember then kinda like being in a tuna can. Sound seemed to echo in them.
I'd ask about the inclusion part...what opportunities are these kids going to have to interact with non-disabled kids.
Ask about what THEY think is going to make this better (other than more space). Sometimes there is a thought behind the madness ;) Keep us on this...it's a thing that may come up for more and more schools considering the over crowding.
:)
DES
Be careful when you ask. They may not actually be thinking any farther than "this class is to small, let's find more space".
My children are still included. I expect unless something bizarre happens the eldest always will be. The younger would have to go to a school 30min away. Probably not before Gr 3. I'm not certain if that's a good idea or not but since I know he's not in one of the better schools in the board....
Always lots to think about.
S.
I am beginning to think school issues are stressful for alot of folks.
I thought it was just me.
I was kinda thinking,
I should have all the answers and be in control...
Thank you for letting me feel "normal".
I would not be feeling too good over the protable classroom. I know my junior is only 5 but he would run off-wonder off-stray off...and I would worry...more.
Thanks for your thoughts and questions. The current arrangement Samuel's special ed. class has is a very small room located within a cluster of classrooms. The students in this class are mainstreamed to regular classes in varying amounts. Samuel probably spends 70-80% of his day with a shared aid in the regular ed. 2nd grade class.
Good point, DES, about getting THEM to talk about why they are considering this.
You're right, S., there always is so much to think about with school! I had finally started feeling better about his school situation and now this comes up!
I worry about things like wandering as well, "a bishops wife". If staffing levels stay the same, the teacher will be alone with kids in the portable while the aids are with children in other classes, that doesn't sound very safe should behavior problems arise.
Thanks again! I'll keep you posted as to what happens.
It may simply be a space and money issue. We have a portable for our 6th graders because we don't have $ to add on. And even if we did, it should go to another school in our dist.
THEY have classrooms in the hall because of overcrowding. Ridiculous.
The story (sorry to talk about it here) that I wrote was written for kids w/aspergers. The event w/the kids really happened and it was my reaction to it, other than going in the bathroom and crying my eyes out. This was way more productive.
I feel like it's too abstract for kids w/asperger's, but it may be a great comfort for parents.
Thanks for coming by--chrisd aka aspiemom
???
It's definitely worth checking out and getting more details... but we haven't had problems with the portables at our schools. My daughter (NT) has been in a portable 3 out of 6 years. My son's SDC was also in the smaller "normal" classroom. They moved it to a portable the year after he left the class, but from what I hear the extra size has been very positive and I haven't heard any complaints otherwise.
Every school my older children have ever been to seems to have had port-a-cabin's so it seems to be a problem that is everywhere.When I started school in 1965 it was in a port-a-cabin and it is still being used today.My daughter is in a specialist school with plenty of room so it is not an issue there but I really think that there are valid issues regarding inclusion from what you describe.I also think that all aspects of health and safety need to be discussed with the parents before any changes are made.
I hope everything works out.
Hi! Thanks for stopping by! Hopefully, you'll have all your kids at home next year! hoomeschooling (and taking him out of the public school) has helped my 'main ASD boy' so much!
Good Luck with getting it all worked out.
Post a Comment